Here in the burbs we get one very cold snap of weather every winter and this is it at the moment, the one time every year where there is snow at Mount Lofty or Mt. Barker is happening now. It started last week on Thursday, the same day I received my Diggers seed annual in the mail, whoo hoo!!! I was saved by Diggers.
I decided Sunday was the best looking day to head over to the Diggers shop which is in our Botanical Gardens, we are very lucky to have a shop in our state otherwise it is mail order. Every day I would re-read the seed annual taking mental notes of what I wanted. It is a ritual for me, spreading it out over the days and then making the list on the Sunday morning.
- Pink Bumblee Bee tomato which won at the great tomato test in March 2015
- A re-introduction of an Australian heirloom lettuce- yellow leaf
- A new chilli called Maui Purple, midnight black chillies turn red when ripe
They were the only vege garden seeds I picked up they were all new releases for this year, I have plenty of everything else I need but I did get lots of flower seeds to attract more bees and other beneficial insects to the garden which I will inter-plant and I also want to do some meadow seeding.
- Wildflowers for Bees- a mix of cornflower,dill,poppies,flax,salvia and others
- Helichrysum an everlasting mix
- Echinacea magic box a mixture of 3 colours
- Summer meadows-zinnias, poppies,cornflower,cosmos,barley and others
- A white corn cockle- ocean pearl
- Salvia Blue Monday – I had to get it that was my fav song song from the 80’s
- Rudbeckia Indian Summer- a tall variety
- A mixture of Scabiosa or Pincushions
- Queens Anne’s Lace
I also visited the new vege garden at the gardens, the tee-pee like structure is a resting spot there are tree stumps in there to sit on. The scarecrows look great and the winter veg was huge!
It was a great day out and I’m feeling excited…….